Are you experiencing back pain or find that physical activities are difficult due to having large breasts? Are you tired of not being able to find clothes that fit across your chest? Performed by skilled plastic surgeon Dr. Dave Lee, breast reduction in Chelmsford may be exactly what you have been looking for to improve the comfort of your daily life.
Many of our high-profile patients prefer to be private with their cosmetic procedures and prefer that their photographs not be placed online. At your consultation, you will be shown photographs of patients who have given us permission to display their before and after pictures.
What is Breast Reduction?
Breast reduction, or reduction mammaplasty, is a surgical procedure where excess breast tissue and skin are removed. The nipple is also repositioned to a more lifted and youthful position. Thegoal of breast reduction is to achieve a more appropriate breast size in proportion to your body and also to alleviate symptoms associated with overly large breasts.
- However, breast reduction surgery may also be desired for cosmetic reasons due to clothing concerns or the social stigma that sometimes is associated with having large breasts. It may help to balance your proportions, making you less top-heavy. If you have shoulder indentations from your bra straps or you are dealing with back, neck, and shoulder pain because of the weight of your breasts, this procedure carried out by Dr. Lee may resolve your problems and improve your sense of well-being.
- Your figure will be better proportioned, and you may feel more self-confident. Breast reduction can also help women whose breasts have become larger after childbirth. For women who have been through menopause, the breasts may have become larger and heavier. They may request more cup size reduction. Many women with large breasts experience rashes due to the moist, warm skin under their breasts. These rashes can be caused by bacterial, fungal, and yeast infections. Often this problem can be alleviated with breast reduction surgery.
Breast reduction surgery may be a good option for you if you are someone who suffers from overly large breasts that affect your day-to-day life. If your breasts affect your ability to be physically active, cause neck, back, or shoulder pain. If you suffer from indentations or grooves in the shoulders from bra straps, or if you experience skin rashes or irritation under the breasts, you may benefit from breast reduction surgery. When considering breast reduction Chelmsford patients should be overall healthy and not have medical conditions that could affect healing. Some examples of conditions that can impair healing include diabetes and conditions that require treatment with immunosuppressants or steroids. Individuals considering breast reduction also should not smoke.
During your Chelmsford breast reduction consultation, you and your surgeon will discuss your concerns and your goals as well as your medical and surgical history, allergies, medications you take, and alcohol, tobacco, and/or drug use. Your surgeon will explain breast reduction surgery, discuss your expectations, and determine what breast size can be achieved safely. A breast exam will also be performed and breast measurements will be taken. Photographs will also be taken at the time of consultation to help with planning your procedure.
Expert Chelmsford plastic surgeon Dr. Lee will also discuss with you how to prepare for surgery. You will be educated on which medications to avoid prior to surgery, instructions for any new medications that will be added before or after surgery, risks of surgery, postoperative restrictions and incision care, and any pre-op testing that may be required.
- Next, the incisions will be made. Most breast reductions require incisions that go around the nipple, down vertically, and along the fold of the breast. This is commonly referred to as an “anchor” pattern. In some cases, incisions around the nipple and down vertically are all that is necessary. This is commonly referred to as a “lollipop” or “keyhole” pattern. Once the incisions are made, the excess breast tissue is removed. The nipple remains attached via its blood supply.
- The remaining breast tissue and skin are lifted from around the nipple and the nipple is repositioned higher on the breast. In rare cases women who are extremely large-breasted and looking to be much smaller, the nipple and areola have to be removed and pasted back on the breast like a skin graft. This is called a free nipple graft. Lastly, the incisions will be closed and the nipple secured in its new position using multiple layers of dissolvable sutures. Once the incisions are closed, the surgical tape will be applied to keep the incisions well approximated while they heal.
- Full recovery for most surgeries, including breast reduction, takes four to six weeks. Six weeks is the time frame where you can expect to have no restrictions, as long as you have healed appropriately and had no complications. You will have guidelines in place immediately after surgery. These will include things like lifting restrictions, no wide or repetitive use of the arms, and avoiding activities that elevate heart rate or blood pressure.
- You will also be instructed to wear a compression bra to help with swelling and support. The first two weeks are most important to adhere to these recommendations and after that time frame, your restrictions will likely be lessened, depending on your healing. You can expect to be bruised and swollen for the first two weeks; this improves over time. You will be instructed on medication use and things to implement at home to help mitigate these symptoms, such as sleeping elevated.
Your Breast Reduction Results
Results from your breast reduction will be noticeable immediately however it will take at least six weeks for the majority of the swelling to resolve. The breasts will continue to settle, soften, and take shape over the next six to 12 months. Incisions take a full 12-18 months to heal and fade. Scars are permanent however they do fade and improve over time.
You will have routine visits scheduled with your plastic surgeon and/or physician assistant after surgery. At these visits, we will discuss your healing, any questions or concerns you may have, take photos and help guide you with tips for recovery as well as how to care for your incisions. It is important for you and your plastic surgeon to discuss your goals and be sure that your expectations are both realistic and aligned. Our mission is always to provide patients with their ideal result however sometimes patients require additional procedures to achieve their desired outcome.
If you want a breast reduction in Chelmsford, Dr. Dave Lee can help. He is a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery® (ABPS). The ABPS only certifies qualified surgeons with extensive training and a record of positive outcomes. Dr. Lee concentrates on providing personalized care and has a highly developed aesthetic eye. To learn more about treatments at PURE Cosmetic Center, schedule a consultation with Dr. Lee today.
BREAST REDUCTION FAQS
Breast reduction, also known as reduction mammaplasty, is a surgical procedure that removes excess breast fat, glandular tissue, and skin resulting in a breast size that is more in proportion to your body. In the case of very large breasts, the nipples and areolas will be repositioned. Special attention is paid to the blood and nerve supply in the breast. Care is taken to ensure that the breasts are symmetrical, and the function of the breast is preserved. Most patients go down one or two cup sizes, but more dramatic changes can also be done if desired.
Dr. Lee will take a complete history and discuss your reasons for breast reduction. In consultation with Dr. Lee, you will explain what you hope to achieve with the procedure. He will examine your breasts, the quality of your skin, and the position of your nipples and areolas. He will then discuss your options and he will recommend treatment. He will explain the risks and possible complications and what to expect during the surgery and in recovery.
You will be given medications for your comfort during the surgery which includes general anesthesia. Once you are asleep, Dr. Lee will make an incision. There are several incision patterns that may be used. The scars are permanent and visible but are usually positioned so that they will be hidden beneath a bra. They will fade over time and usually within a year, they improve appreciably. After the incision is made the nipple is repositioned. Breast tissue is reduced and then lifted and reshaped. The incisions are then closed with sutures deep within the breast tissue to act as support. Your breasts are then bandaged. The surgery will take about two hours but can be done on an outpatient basis. You will not have any drains or any sutures to remove. You will be provided with detailed instructions for post-operative care before you are released to go home.
Sometimes a breast lift may be a solution if the breasts are droopy but not too large. Other cosmetic surgeries such as abdominoplasty or a tummy tuck can treat other areas of the body. Breast surgery combined with a tummy tuck is often called a Mommy Makeover procedure.
You may be advised to wear a support bra or elastic bandage to support your breasts. You may feel tired for a few days. You will have some swelling that will decrease as you heal. The results are immediately obvious, and the breast reduction is long-lasting. However, your breasts can still change due to changes in weight and hormones, as well as aging.
We require that any patient interested in receiving treatment from our renowned Chelmsford breast reduction expert, Dave Lee, MD, has a consultation prior to the surgery. Breast reduction is a solution for you if you are experiencing pain or if you feel limited because of the size of your breasts, either physically or emotionally. If you are physically healthy and do not smoke, you will be a good fit for the procedure.
The cost of breast reduction in Chelmsford varies, but some health insurance plans will cover some of the expenses. Dr. Lee may need to get prior approval from the insurance company.
Your beauty is a symphony. Don’t trust it to anyone less than a true performer and a master at his craft. Chelmsford plastic surgeon, Dr. Dave Lee brings the virtuosity of a concert pianist and the artistry of a renowned plastic surgeon to each procedure. Schedule a consultation today to discover why patients across New England are singing the praises of Dr. Lee and his staff at PURE Cosmetic Center.