If only one breast was involved, would you like to experience symmetry again? Do you want to return your breasts to the shape and size and appearance they had prior to your cancer surgery? Have you had abnormally shaped breasts all your life and are looking for a solution? Dr. Dave Lee, a board-certified plastic surgeon, is especially adept at providing peerless results when it comes to breast reconstruction in Chelmsford.
Many of our high-profile patients prefer to be private with their cosmetic procedures and prefer that their photographs not be placed online. At your consultation, you will be shown photographs of patients who have given us permission to display their before and after pictures.
What is Breast Reconstruction?
Breast reconstruction is a surgical procedure or set of procedures that can be done either at the time of a mastectomy or at any time afterward. If you have the reconstruction done at the same time as the mastectomy, make sure that both your breast surgeon and plastic surgeon can work at the same hospital as a team. In some cases, breast reconstruction is used after a lumpectomy as well. There are some aspects to reconstruction you will want to understand.
- Dr. Lee is a skilled and experienced plastic surgeon and will recommend the option best suited to your needs depending on several factors including cancer treatments, your body type, and your preference. Chelmsford Breast Reconstruction expert Dr. Dave Lee is ready to discuss your aesthetic goals and establish a tailored treatment plan to meet them.
- A few months after your mastectomy and reconstruction surgery, you may opt to have nipple and areola surgery. This can take the form of a tattoo procedure or a skin graft taken from tissue from another part of your body. You may also decide to do a combination of these two procedures. If you decide on both, the skin graft should be done first, followed by the tattoo.
- Tissue expander reconstruction: Is usually the first step in breast reconstruction. With this method, the doctor places an empty breast implant and fills it with saline. Over several weeks, the doctor will increase the amount of saline until the implant reaches the size you and Dr. Lee have decided on. This process stretches the skin, preparing it for your implants. After the tissue expansion is complete, you will have a second surgery to remove the expander and insert the breast implant you have selected.
- Implant reconstruction: Uses silicone or saline implants to establish a new breast mound. Reconstruction with implants is the most common with over 80% of procedures using this method. The surgery is usually shorter, and recovery is quicker than with autologous tissue reconstruction. There are usually no new scars since the procedure can use the mastectomy incision. Some patients are good candidates for direct-to-implant reconstruction, especially if there is enough remaining healthy breast tissue and the patient heals easily.
Relies on your own tissue from another part of your body to create the new breast. The tissue can come from your thighs, buttocks, or abdomen. This surgery can have a longer recovery time. However, if you are undergoing radiation treatment, this may be a better option since radiation can cause complications with implants. Analogous tissue breast reconstruction can seem more like natural breasts in the way they look and feel as well as move. It also is a solution that requires less long-term maintenance.
- It is devastating enough to deal with a breast cancer diagnosis, but for many women, the loss of a breast from the resulting mastectomy can leave them with a loss of self-confidence. Even fitting into clothes can be difficult although there are prostheses that you can use. Some women who are at high risk for breast cancer are choosing to have prophylactic mastectomies with breast reconstruction at the same time.
- If you would like a solution that you do not have to put on and take off and if you feel that rebuilding your breast will make you feel better, breast reconstruction with a board-certified plastic surgeon, Dave Lee, MD, could be your solution. There are several benefits to be had from precisely applied Breast Reconstruction in Chelmsford’s premier plastic surgery destination, PURE Cosmetic Center. Breast reconstruction can provide a permanent breast shape and can make you look more symmetrical in your bathing suit and other clothes with lower necklines. Reconstruction usually looks more natural than wearing a prosthetic breast. Breast reconstruction can improve your self-image.
Dave Lee, MD, is a board-certified, accomplished Chelmsford plastic surgeon with extensive experience and training in breast surgery including breast reconstruction. At PURE Cosmetic Center in Chelmsford, Dr. Lee offers an outstanding level of service and establishes a lifelong relationship with you. Dr. Lee will put you at ease no matter what your situation. To find out more about the procedure, contact us today to arrange a consultation with Dr. Dave Lee.
Breast Reconstruction Procedure
If you are facing a mastectomy, breast reconstruction can be done at the same time. This is called immediate reconstruction. There is also the benefit of waking up after the mastectomy and having the new breast in place.
There is some research that shows that the cosmetic outcome is often improved when the reconstruction is done at the same time. Breast reconstruction done with implants involves placing the implant either just behind the skin or behind the extra layer of tissue that is the pectoralis muscle. When done with analogous tissue, the procedure takes tissue (called a flap) from your abdomen or back and uses it to create a new breast. The tissue is formed into a breast shape and stitched into place.
After breast reconstruction Chelmsford plastic surgeon Dr. Lee will attach temporary drainage tubes to your breast. You may be in the hospital overnight or longer depending on the type of reconstruction done. Dr. Lee will give you detailed instructions on how to care for yourself when you get home and what to expect in the way of pain and pain control. Scars from the reconstruction will eventually fade. Recovery time is dependent on the type of reconstruction done and how quickly you heal.
BREAST RECONSTRUCTION FAQS
We require that any patient interested in receiving treatment from our renowned Chelmsford Breast Reconstruction expert, have a consultation prior to the surgery. If you do not have any other medical conditions that might impair your healing process, you should be a good candidate for breast reconstruction. Additionally, being able to adjust to your diagnosis and treatment is essential as is a positive outlook. Understanding fully what to expect from the surgery – both what can and cannot be achieved will help as well – as results can be different for each patient.
If only one breast needs reconstruction, the unaffected breast may benefit from a breast lift, breast reduction, or breast implant augmentation to ensure equal size, shape, and position of both breasts. These procedures are also available from Dr. Lee.
Breast reconstruction after breast cancer is often covered by health insurance. Your out-of-pocket cost will vary and depend on how much your insurance will cover as well as the type and extent of the surgery. Be sure to consult with your insurance company prior to the surgery.
Your beauty is a symphony. Don’t trust it to anyone less than a true performer and a master at his craft. Chelmsford plastic surgeon, Dr. Dave Lee brings the virtuosity of a concert pianist and the artistry of a renowned plastic surgeon to each procedure. Schedule a consultation today to discover why patients across New England are singing the praises of Dr. Lee and his staff at PURE Cosmetic Center.