Looking to increase the size and improve the shape of your breasts but want to make sure they still look natural after surgery? Dr. Dave Lee at PURE Cosmetic Center can help you achieve the beautiful, natural-looking results you have always wanted with our Chelmsford breast augmentation.
Many of our high-profile patients prefer to be private with their cosmetic procedures and prefer that their photographs not be placed online. At your consultation, you will be shown photographs of patients who have given us permission to display their before and after pictures.
- Breast augmentation has been around for over 100 years, using various materials to increase the size of the breasts. Modern breast augmentation was first done with silicone implants in 1962. Today, you can choose from saline implants (filled with sterile saltwater), silicone implants (made of elastic gel), or your own fat.
- Fat transfer uses liposuction to take fat from other parts of your body, such as your thighs or abdomen, and inject it into the breasts. This method works best for women who want only a modest increase in breast size and prefer results without implants.
Breast Augmentation Benefits
Breast augmentation can increase the fullness and projection of your breasts. It can also improve your breast shape. One of the benefits of breast augmentation for women who may have larger hips is a more proportioned look, bringing the breasts in balance with your body shape.
Even a small increase in breast size can make a big difference. During your consultation, Dr. Lee will guide you in choosing the best implant size for your body and desired look. His surgical skill and eye for beauty mean that a breast augmentation can help you feel more confident and improve your self-esteem.
- Dr. Lee will also review your medical history, surgical history, and family history. Dr. Lee will then measure the size and shape of your breasts in their current state. Emphasis is placed on the footprint of your breasts as well as the position of your nipples. Dr. Lee will then talk to you about the best treatment for your needs, all the options available to you, and the risks associated with the procedure.
- Additionally, he will assess the optimal location for the incision. Be prepared to ask any questions about the procedure and the expected results. Ensuring you understand all aspects of the procedure is important in reducing anxiety before surgery. In this way, Dr. Lee can best help you determine if breast augmentation is right for you.
Breast augmentation can be performed through four different incisions. There are advantages and disadvantages to each of these incision types.
Inframammary incision: An incision is made in the fold of the breast. The inframammary incision is the most popular incision choice. It allows Dr. Lee to have the most control of the implant position. It also has the lowest chance of capsular contracture.
Periareolar incision: An incision is made along the bottom half of the areola. This approach may be advantageous if a small lift is also needed. However, this approach has a higher chance of capsular contracture.
Transaxillary incision: An incision is made in the armpit. This approach has the advantage of no scars on the breast. However, this approach has less precise control of the implant position and cannot be used for more complex or revision cases. It also has a higher chance of capsular contracture.
Transumbilical incision: An incision is made on the belly button. This approach is typically limited to only smaller or saline implants. It also disrupts the natural fold of the breast. There is less control of precise implant placement. It is the least common method for breast augmentation.
Breast implants can be placed either above or under the pectoralis muscle. Dr. Lee will help you make this decision by considering what is best for your skin and your current breast anatomy. Placement of the implants underneath the muscle is crucial for thin patients with very little existing breast tissue. Placement below the muscle is also associated with a lower chance of developing capsular contracture. However, placement over the muscle may have some advantages for patients with a large amount of breast tissue and mild ptosis. Dr. Lee will discuss all of your options with you at your consultation.
Breast implants have a shell of silicone and can be filled with either saline fluid or silicone gel. Silicone gel filled breast implants tend to feel softer. Saline tends to have more rippling and does not feel as soft to the touch. However, a rupture is much easier to detect with saline since it causes deflation. Therefore, the majority of patients choose to have silicone implants. The breast implant shell can be either smooth or textured. The shape can be either round or tear-drop-shaped. A smooth implant tends to feel softer than a textured implant since the shell is thinner. A textured implant tends to stay in place and may be less likely to move downwards or slide to the side over time. There may also be a lower chance of capsular contracture with textured implants, so it is more often used for complex revisional cases. The majority of patients today choose to have smooth, round breast implants for their augmentation.
People seek out breast augmentation for various reasons, and a person’s motivations are often unique to them. Most patients, though, are seeking a remedy to an issue like:
- Feeling that their breasts are too small
- Abnormal breast development
- A lack of volume in the upper part of one or both breasts
- Asymmetry (uneven size or shape) of the breasts
- Dissatisfaction with changes in shape, size, and feel as a result of aging, weight loss, pregnancy, or breastfeeding
Ideal candidates are in good health overall and are not pregnant or nursing. Their breasts have fully developed and they are at or near their ideal weight. Being free of any serious health conditions like heart disease or blood disorders is important as these can make surgery more dangerous and can adversely impact the healing process. It is also essential that candidates have realistic expectations for their results and are seeking the breast augmentation procedure only for their own satisfaction and not at someone else’s insistence.
Breast Augmentation Procedure
On the day of the surgery, you are given general anesthesia. Then, the incision is made, the pocket is dissected, and the breast implant is inserted into your breast. The whole operation will take about one hour and can be done on an outpatient basis.
- You will be closely monitored for an hour or two and given detailed instructions for recovery, including when you can resume normal activities. A follow-up appointment will be scheduled. You will then be released to go home. A responsible adult must drive you home and stay with you for the first 24 hours after surgery.
- Most patients who have breast augmentation experience minimal discomfort. Most patients do not need to take narcotic pain medications and manage their discomfort with over-the-counter medications such as Tylenol and ibuprofen.
Your breasts will be swollen, and the implants may appear very high on the chest. This is normal. Over a period of six to twelve weeks, your breast implants will drop into a more natural position. Many patients can go back to work in just a few days after surgery. You will have some lifting restrictions during the healing period. Light exercise is allowed in about two weeks.
Dr. Lee is a Chelmsford plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery® (ABPS). The ABPS only certifies qualified, highly trained plastic surgeons and is recognized by the American Board of Medical Specialties, which has approved specialty boards for almost 70 years. Dr. Lee’s focus is on providing superior skill and personalized care. He has a highly developed eye for beauty. If you’re looking to enhance your breast size and shape with a breast augmentation Chelmsford plastic surgeon, Dr. Lee, can provide the look you have always wanted.
BREAST AUGMENTATION FAQS
In addition to breast augmentation, sometimes a breast lift is performed simultaneously to correct drooping and sagging breasts. If you have droopy breasts, Dr. Lee will determine if the lift can be done simultaneously as your augmentation. This combined procedure is called a Mastopexy Augmentation. Combining a tummy tuck with breast augmentation is also very common. This combination is often requested by mothers with loose abdominal skin and deflated breasts because of pregnancy and breastfeeding. This combo procedure is often referred to as a “Mommy Makeover.”
The cost of breast augmentation depends on many factors, including your surgical goals, your desired implant type, and your anatomy. If you compare prices between different surgeons, make sure to remember that our price is all-inclusive. Our price includes your consultation, your pre-operative appointment, the surgeon’s fee, the facility fee, the anesthesia fee, the cost of the implants, all of your post-operative appointments, your surgical bra, and your silicone sheet scar treatments.
Insurance typically does not cover the costs of elective procedures. There are rare cases where breast augmentation may be considered medically necessary, so you should contact your insurance provider to confirm coverage if you think you may be eligible.
While breast augmentation surgeries are considered very safe, some risks are associated with the procedure. These can include:
- Surgical risks related to anesthesia and infection
- Breast implant-associated anaplastic large cell lymphoma (BIA-ALCL)
- Changes in skin or nipple sensitivity
- Capsular contracture
- Poor scarring
- Unsatisfactory results
Dr. Lee will discuss all potential risks with you during your consultation.
Some often use augmentation and implants interchangeably, but there is a difference between them. While augmentation is the actual procedure used for enhancing the breast, implants are a means of achieving that enhancement. However, implants aren’t the only way you can augment your breasts. A surgeon can also use your fat to enhance your breasts. This method is commonly referred to as “fat transfer breast augmentation,” wherein fat is taken from other parts of the body, purified, and inserted into the breasts. This method can produce a more natural-looking enhancement, albeit a more modest one.
Waiting for your breasts to reach maturity before getting breast enhancements is the main factor regarding an appropriate age. You will get longer-lasting and better results if you wait for full maturity. The twenties and thirties are the usual age range for women to get breast augmentations done.
Your beauty is a symphony. Don’t trust it to anyone less than a true performer and a master at his craft. Chelmsford plastic surgeon, Dr. Dave Lee brings the virtuosity of a concert pianist and the artistry of a renowned plastic surgeon to each procedure. Schedule a consultation today to discover why patients across New England are singing the praises of Dr. Lee and his staff at PURE Cosmetic Center.